As our little farm grows with new additions and little babies being born, it is always so exciting and fun to see the new personalities of our furry friends. But there are some challenges that come with it as well. Our little two stall barn is just not going to fit four full grown does and three babies. There is just no way! Not to mention that we were needing to clean the barn two or three times a week instead of just once. So enough was enough. After culling the older flock of chickens we decided that we were going to convert their old chicken coop into a goat shelter.
Introducing our new goat coop:
This spacious home is complete with a real hardwood floor, two doors, and tin roof. Insulation foam has been added to the inside walls to keep residents warmer in cold weather. The front door is always open to go through with its water resistant fabric flap made by Mom and Bekah. The side door has a screen that can be covered in the winter to keep the heat in or open in the summer to allow for more airflow. Foam insulation board has been covered so that the residents are no longer able to eat away at all of my hard work (but I am sure that they will try considering they are continually trying to give me more work to do!) They must think that I have nothing to do unless I am out working by them. Foam swim noodles have also been placed over the front roof edging to protect against head slicing as humans go in and out for cleaning or replacing water.
Does this sound like a house listing description yet? Maybe I have been looking at too many of those!
Well, seeing as it is more likely that someone would like to try and make one on their own instead of buying ours, I will just explain how I did it.
I started out by removing all the front boards and hardware cloth. This was a lot more difficult than I expected because I was not undoing things in the exact order that Dad had put them together! Buttercup was full of advice and suggestions!
Next was taking off the wooden folding panels on the roof and removing all the boards that had created the roosts and shelves in the back. Once everything was pretty much gutted down to the outer frame we were at a stage to install the new floor.
I had originally been hoping to remove the long floor support board that stretched lengthwise about 2/3 of the way in but that was going to be too difficult. Instead, we opted to cut each board going widthwise all the way down the coop and give them a hardwood floor with the materials that we had from taking the other pieces apart. We actually had to cut and attach each board piece by piece because it was not an even measurement all of the way down.
Once the floor was finally finished, Dad and I cut and attached the tin roofing to the top so that we would not have issues with rain leaking through the old boards that had been there. Yay! No more tarps!
After that, we attached a board over most of the front (only leaving space for the doorway) and, voila! I thought we were finished. Nope… I was wrong. there were concerns about the cold. So, next, it was cutting and gluing on chunks of insulation board into the different spaces on the inside. Then we were done for a while. After a couple of months, the goats decided to start eating the foam and I had to cover it over with scrap pieces of board last week.
It’s been a long, drawn out project but I think we can call this one done!